Friday, February 10, 2012

I can

While Hunter was in the NICU, we had so many friends and family support. A lot of times when we would come visit him in the NICU, there would be something donated to us, such as body scrub and lotion for me and blankets and clothes for Hunter. Before I left the hospital, someone left a bag full of these types of things, and it included a plaque and a necklace that said, "I can." I wore that necklace everyday that Hunter was in the NICU to remind me that yes, I can do this. :) There was also a small piece of cloth with a poem attached. This is what the poem read:

It's hard to come into this life
and not have Mommy's touch.
I know the doctors mean to help,
but I miss her, oh so much.
We had many months together
when I was tucked inside.
Now we're lonely for each other
and we both have cried and cried.
Then someone gave my Mommy
a hankie to hold tight.
She sleeps and holds it close to her-
It's filled with love each night.
When Mommy comes to see me
she puts it by my skin.
It makes me feel so happy
'cause I feel my Mom again.
I love this little hankie-
It works just like a charm.
And I'll cuddle, smell, and hold it tight,
'til I'm back in Mommy's arms.

Every single time I would read this poem, I would start to cry. Even now, as I was typing it out, I still got teary eyed, even tho I have my little one right next to me. So yes, I would wear this little hankie close to me and take it to the hospital to put under Hunter's head to sleep on.  It would make me feel a little better about not being with him.  I just wanted to share this little poem, because it meant so much to me those three and a half weeks. :)

1 comment:

  1. That poem makes me cry too! I need a hankie to sleep with...

    ReplyDelete